Saturday, August 06, 2005

Why do we write?

Someone I work with recently said that "the true purpose of all writing is to pove the existence of God." I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I honestly have not decided if I agree with it or not. This made me think about how we all probably have different reasons for writing, and even though we all share our common love for Christ we may not share our "writing purpose." I would like to hear what you think about this. Do you believe we all have a common purpose as writers to "prove the existence of God" or do you think we all have our own separate purposes as writers? And also, why do you personally love to write? For me, I think that my purpose as a writer is not to prove the existence of God, but to bring people closer to the reality of His love through the stories that He gives me. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. :)

4 comments:

crossblade said...

I guess my purpose as a writer or rather a blogger is mostly to let people know wht God does in my life and
draw them into HIS fold...


anyway no all of us alike
2 Cor 12 :28-31 talks about the differnt gifts and ministies each of us have and I believe in that

God be with you,
thomas

Eucharisto said...

I write because it is an integral part of all aspects of my life. If I didn't write, I'd be taking away from what I am, it's something I have to do, it's probably the most effective way I can communicate to people, next to one on one talking.
Simply put, I write because I have to!

Ruth said...

Well said, Joel.

Queen Mum said...

Bravo! You both write in a way that touches the heart and soul. I never got the opportunity to become a good writter. Some are gifted at it. Some have to work hard at becoming good. If you write because you have to, is it then a gift? I know the Queen is that way about drawing, making, crafting and sewing. She has to, and as a matter of fact, if life didn't force her to do other things, she would be creating somehting constantly and never tire of it. So, when creativity flows as freely as it does with you guys, I believe it is a gift. Am I right? God Bless.