Sunday, April 08, 2007

Letting Go: Part 2

"I do believe," said Mr. Winfrey, "that everything you do should be done for the Glory of God." "Why, yes of course," agreed Mrs. Winfrey, "But then I must pose a question. Why have you spent all these years so dedicated to your politics?" "Well," Mr. Winfrey replied, "it is because I am also called to give my best to everything I am called to do." "Yes," said his wife, "but have you consulted God on every decision? Have you been willing to follow his direction at the expense of your career?" A moments silent contemplation left the two alone in each others' company, but in the decidedly obvious company of a third Presence which had been desiring to penetrate thier hearts long before this sudden conversation. Convicted by the Holy Spirit, Mr. Winfrey replied to his wife's final question through the tears that rolled down his old cheeks. "My dear, I believe I have neglected to follow my Lord, using my striving for His glory as the very excuse for ignoring Him all together." "Yes, she said, I believe we have both done this. Let us ask our Lord to change our hearts now, in our old age." With that they both painstakingly nelt to the floor, grasped each others' hands, and began to call out to the God they had left behind.

I don't know why this touching scene came to mind, but it describes how I feel exactly. You see, I have just this moment realized that my search for aproval, honor and acceptance in my field of study is just the same as any sinner's empty search for honor in this world. I have used my striving for God's glory as an excuse to seek my own. My heart is deeply convicted of this now, as I realize that there is an extent to which I can give God control over my life which I never imagined possible. It is like I have been standing in this giant room full of possibility and all of a sudden a sky light has been opened and I see more endless possibility stretching beyond where I thought the end lay.

I am so deeply touched that the God I serve would take the time to open my eyes to the tragic way I have been living and teach me who I am really supposed to be. I have so many dreams for the future, but in following my dreams I have become blind to who I really am in Christ. The reality is that our life on this earth is so fleeting that the only thing worth while is to seek Christ with all that we have, and to live to bring the message of His Gospel to the ends of the earth. I thought I had to wait until I was finished with this task to do that, but I realize now that I can live the testimony of Christ right now! I can let go of the honor I have been grasping for and simply drink in His presence. It is really ok to let go.

No comments: