Sunday, May 01, 2005

Quiet

As I listen to the quiet evening, I wonder what life will be like in a few days, when finals are finished. My dad has told me several times this month "You know that old saying, 'If the devil can't make you bad, he'll make you buisy'?" Well, maybe that's what happened, and maybe not, but I know that I have been far buisier that anyone ever should be. I think we all know the feeling of running from one thing to another with no time to breathe in between, much less time to stop and pray. During these times I find myself praying mostly for peace (while I'm in the car, headed to the next activity) The difficulty in this is the "fact" that all of these activities are important. Have you heard of the book There Were Two Trees? I know there must be so many things that I am doing that are "good things", but not "God things". So now that the semester is over, and this endless Monday that has lasted for the past three weeks is finished, I will have time to sit, rest, and ponder. What will I ponder? Well, there is my book that I plan to finish, and my other book that I plan to start, but I want to put a particular book on the top of the list. One that has special meaning for my life. (Can you guess which one I'm talking about?) Yes, you guesed right (at least I think you did). I want to study the Bible. I have felt so, well, crunched for time lately that the most I have gotten is my daily portion before I go to bed. I am so excited about having free time to spend just reading and praying, but most of all I want to develop a dependence on it that will last a lifetime. Yes, I know I should already be totally dependent on God and his word for sustenance, and in a way I am, but I want to go deeper. I want to reach a point where I am so dependent on Him that to miss a morning spent with Him would cause me deep distress. I suppose we all reach this point at some time in our lives, and my time is now. I am ready to go deep sea diving, but with this diving suit the only way to replenish your oxygen is to go deeper. In one of my favorite songs Steven Curtis Chapman says it perfectly: "I'm divin' in!"

No comments: